- 6th Form in Library
Our innovative "LPGS Careers Academy" was launched in 2012 aimed at providing students throughout the school with effective careers advice, guidance and education. The move is part of a determined effort to help students achieve their ambitions.
The LPGS Careers Academy has developed a programme of activity designed to meet the needs of students across all age ranges, starting with students in year seven all the way through to those in the sixth form.
The programme includes:
- Helping younger students be realistic in understanding the salaries that different jobs attract and the impact that has on renting or owning property, living costs and entertainment
- Discussing career ambitions that students have and how that might influence their academic choices at GCSE, A-level and degree level
- One-on-one careers discussions and planning with students
- Having former LPGS students and alumni talk to current students about their jobs, how they achieved their ambitions, and what that means in terms of working hours and commitment
- Visits and guided tours to a range of different workplaces to help students understand the range of options open to them
- Helping students understand the specific skills and experience needed to enter certain professions such as medicine, law, accounting and the City
- Training and workshops designed to sharpen how students prepare and present themselves at both university and job interviews
- Drop-in careers ‘clinics’ for students
- An annual careers fair at the school for students in years 10/11 and above
Having a careers adviser present at parent's evenings to help discuss and advise on options
"We are providing a mixture of independent careers advice alongside raising awareness of options and helping students plan for the future. We want our students to do the very best they can – being prepared and making sure that they plan for their working future is central to that. Bringing in former students to talk about their experiences and what they have had to do in order to succeed as well as visits and other guest speakers brings it all to life."