At LPGS we have two mentoring programs which offer students support with academic and personal issues or gives them the opportunity to be a mentor to another student.
At LPGS we offer a One-to-One Mentoring programme for students who feel they would benefit from additional help, encouragement and support with their academic studies and personal issues. Students are generally referred to our Mentoring Team by the Sixth Form Department. However students are able to self –refer if they feel they would benefit from this type of mentoring.
Please contact Mrs Rogers in the Sixth Form Base (CAR) to arrange a suitable time to meet up and to discuss this option.
Become a Peer Mentor
Peer Mentoring is an informal and mutual way of learning which can provide valuable support for students at crucial times in their education. This type of mentoring offers many benefits for both mentor and mentee. Therefore, it can be a mutually beneficial experience for all participants involved in the process. Peer mentoring is an additional way for students to develop their transferrable skills that will assist them in their further education choices and futures as independent citizens.
Benefits of being a Mentee
- Gain help, encouragement and support
- Develop your communication, study and personal skills
- Identify goals and establish a sense of direction
- Learn from others’ experience
- Become more empowered to make decisions
- Helps to develop strategies for problem solving with both academic and personal issues
- Increases your academic and social confidence
- Opportunity to make new friends in the Sixth Form
Benefits of being a Mentor
- Development of leadership and management qualities
- Improve interpersonal skills
- Embed your own learning by reinforcing your understanding and knowledge of your subject/s
- Opportunity to develop your own study skills
- Gain a sense of fulfilment and personal growth
- Gain recognition for your participation
- Valuable experience to increase your confidence
- Enhance your CV as this is valued by further/higher education and employers
Opportunity to make new friends in the Sixth Form
Please contact Ms Leonards (DL) for more information about how to join our Peer Mentoring scheme.